• the patient
  • a carer, friend or relative of the patient, if they have the patient’s agreement and their written consent
  • the parent, guardian or main carer for the patient, if they are under 16 or are not mature enough or have the capacity to understand the complaints process
  • the holder of a welfare power of attorney or guardianship order for the patient
  • an advocate for the patient

You can make a complaint on behalf of someone who has died if

  • you are a relative of this person, were married to them or are the executor of their will