Do you want to raise concerns about your NHS treatment?
Do you have comments or feedback that could benefit others with their NHS treatment?

We can help support you through this process.

What outcomes are you looking for from the NHS?

  • An explanation about what happened?
  • A review of procedures or policy?
  • An apology?
  • An improvement on the services provided?
  • A meeting to discuss your feedback, concern or complaint?
  • Changes to be made so this won’t happen to anyone else?

It is your right to receive support and advice. We can help you look at your options.

The Patient Advice and Support Service can:

  • Help you to give feedback or comments, raise concerns, or make complaints about the treatment you have received from the NHS in Scotland.
  • Help you to prepare if the NHS offers a meeting to discuss a complaint or concern.
  • Help you write letters and make phone calls.
  • Help you access your medical and clinical records.
  • Help you to understand your options regarding treatment, care and support.
  • Help you make a complaint on behalf of someone else. You will need to have signed authorisation, be a legal guardian or have welfare Power of Attorney (POA).
  • Help you make a complaint on behalf of someone who has passed away.

The Patient Advice and Support Service can’t:

  • Give medical advice. We are not the NHS and can only help with giving feedback, raising concerns or making complaints about any aspect of NHS service.
  • Give legal advice.
  • Give advice about private healthcare.
  • Give advice about social care.
  • Give advocacy service.
  • Give advice about the NHS in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. If you need advice about the NHS in England or Wales, please visit PALS (Patient Advice Liaison Service).

To find out more information on how to make a complaint about the NHS, view the Client Information pack.